Although we won't argue if internet addiction is really a disorder, you may still consider the following as symptoms of overuse or incorrect use of the internet:
- You spend very long time on the internet
- You may stay online in-spite of suffering bad consequences (e.g having no time to study or even losing your job)
- You feel irritable when you try to reduce your use of internet
- You stay online longer than what you planned
- You depend on internet to get rid of bad moods
Why am I addicted to the internet?
Again there was a debate about that point, so what we will discuss here are some reasons that could result in overuse of the internet:
- External dependency and internet addiction :just like any other addiction, external dependency is a big factor. It is the state of total dependence on an external factor in order to feel happy or to escape bad mood.
- Internet addiction and the need for socializing: sometimes the real cause for internet addiction is just a real need for socializing, by way of chatting online excessively.
- Internet addiction for means of escape: some people overuse the internet just to escape from their problems. Usually those people have other problems that they don’t want to face. Therefore, they use the internet in order to forget about them
The problem with internet addiction is that its not in the spot lights nor its regarded as dangerous as other types of addiction. This allows this type of addiction to escape unnoticed in most cases. The same happens with love addition which is being unable to live without a loving partner nor tolerating being alone as i discussed it before. People keep denying that they got addicted to internet or love when i told them, it is because most people do not realize that they are really having serious addiction. Why i'm writing this, because i feel that i almost addicted to the internet and i won't let it happen!